The Maretriarchal Confederacy (often referred to by its current name Ledomare or simply the Confederacy) is a kingdom that takes the name of whichever queen is currently on the throne. Despite its name, the Confederacy doesn't appear to be a noticably matriarchical society (aside from having a queen), unlike the neighboring Searo.
The Val Roans speak of a group called the "Westgaters" which fled west from the continent several centuries ago across the Frozen Sea to escape a war with the Goblin Cartel. This appears to mark the earliest origin of the Confederacy as this group of ponies displaced the indiginous caribou of Bethlem approximately three centuries ago.
Its known epochs (not quite in chronological order) are:
- Byssomare - Began the Age of Sparklight, in which worship of the Great Spark became the state religion
- Beltenmare - Searo broke from the confederacy during this period
- Zaidmare - About 250 years ago. This was the "Zaidmare Genocidal Era" in which caribou were exterminated from the land
- Wessamare - Over 100 years before the Xonan incursion
- Ledomare - Rule of Queen Ledo, current during the majority of Austraeoh
- Luxmare - Changed during Urohringr as part of a public revolt against governmental corruption and militaristic expansion
- ↑ Yaerfaerda, "Taking the Fall, Now and Forever"